Too Young For Pot: Cookie’s Snack With A Side Of Hydrogen Peroxide

So they do come in threes …

Bad luck, or medical problems, both. In the short time Cookie’s been with us, she already managed to have a sore foot, tried choking on a dental chew, and snacking on potentially dangerous stuff.

Cookie's Snack With A Side Of Hydrogen Peroxide

I’m being told that this is the way it goes with adopted dogs. I’m even being told that it’s the sign they belong with us. I could do with a different way of knowing, but I guess it is what it is.

I’m just hoping that three will do it and perhaps that might be it for a while.

But not until we got all three.

As we were going through the parking lot, guys were sniffing as usually and then I noticed Cookie munching on something.

She doesn’t know the Drop It yet, so I reached in an attempt to grab it out of her mouth. She’s quite good with that, letting me do it.

As I reached it, it was soft and gooey. That’s all I could tell before it made it’s way down.

At first, I thought it was dog poop.

When I retrieved my hand it was not only soft and gooey but also brown. I was somewhat unimpressed by having that all over my hand and I smelled it to confirm.

It did not smell like poop.

It did not smell much at all, perhaps with a touch of sweetness. A brownie?

Now I wished it WAS dog poop.

Given Cookie’s size, I didn’t really think that could have been enough chocolate in that bit to make her seriously ill. Wanting to confirm, I contacted one of my veterinary friends.

She agreed that Cookie was not at risk of a serious chocolate poisoning. However, what she asked next was even scarier.

“Is there any chance this was a pot brownie?” she asked.

Huh. That never even crossed my mind before.

I did not know whether it could have been a pot brownie. I didn’t even know for sure it was a brownie or some other type of chocolate baked product. It was made of dough and it was brown. That’s all I knew for sure.

Ours is a pretty decent neighborhood, but lately, with some of the recent tenants, police would show up every now and then.

I did not think it was a pot brownie. But would I want to bet Cookie’s life on it?

After some deliberation and bargaining, it was decided. Cookie has to lose the snack.

Because it was within an hourish from ingestion, inducing vomiting was our best option.

Fortunately, our doggie first aid kit does contain 3% hydrogen peroxide. For Cookie’s size, the dose was 2 tbsp and 1 tsp.

So we measured up the dose, grabbed a turkey baster and squirted it into unimpressed Cookie’s mouth.

Then hubby walked around with her outside, hoping that this will make her throw up within 15 minutes. If not, she would have to enjoy the experience one more time.

About eight minutes later hubby came back with Cookie.

She had thrown up and whatever might have been in her belly was now out.

After that, Cookie had to remain without any food or water for about an hour and given only small amounts of water and half of dinner later.

She had no ill effects from the adventure and all was well.

Being the third incident, hopefully, that also concludes our series of health-related excitement for a while.

Categories: Chocolate poisoningConditionsMarijuana poisoningReal-life Stories

Tags: :

Jana Rade

I am a graphic designer, dog health advocate, writer, and author. Jasmine, the Rottweiler of my life, was the largest female from her litter. We thought we were getting a healthy dog. Getting a puppy from a backyard breeder was our first mistake. Countless veterinary visits without a diagnosis or useful treatment later, I realized that I had to take Jasmine's health care in my own hands. I learned the hard way that merely seeing a vet is not always enough. There is more to finding a good vet than finding the closest clinic down the street. And, sadly, there is more to advocating for your dog's health than visiting a veterinarian. It should be enough, but it often is not. With Jasmine, it took five years to get a diagnosis. Unfortunately, other problems had snowballed for that in the meantime. Jasmine's health challenges became a crash course in understanding dog health issues and how to go about getting a proper diagnosis and treatment. I had to learn, and I had to learn fast. Helping others through my challenges and experience has become my mission and Jasmine's legacy. I now try to help people how to recognize and understand signs of illness in their dogs, how to work with their veterinarian, and when to seek a second opinion. My goal is to save others the steep curve of having to learn things the hard way as I did. That is the mission behind my blog and behind my writing. That is why I wrote Symptoms to Watch for in Your Dog, which has turned out being an award-winning guide to dog owners. What I'm trying to share encompasses 20 years of experience.

12 Comments
  1. So it seems. She is a good girl, though, still learning to live a \”civilized\” life. Hopefully three does it and both her and I can get a good break.

  2. Poor Cookie…glad you got it out of her system to no apparent ill effect. Let's hope three is the charm and there's not more!

  3. Yes, good advice; aware of that. She's been with us only for a very short time, so gotta have priorities in what she needs to learn in what order.There is a link at the bottom of the article on marijuana toxicity in dogs.

  4. I'm sure you know this, but thought I'd remind you to \”trade, don't take\” things from Cookie as she learns \”drop it.\” Whatever it was had already disintegrated by the time you could have traded this time but making that a habit will help expedite your bonding process, and build trust between human & canine. Did your vet elaborate on why a medicated brownie would be so dangerous?

  5. Really thought we could get a break with the new girl. But was not meant to be.Really hoping this is it for the rest of her life now. One can always hope, right?

  6. Yeah, while I didn't want to do it to her, I felt it was the better choice. I was glad she threw up fairly quickly so we didn't have to \”rinse and repeat.\”

Share your thoughts