Milo Survived what many Dogs Don’t: #Preventpetsuffocation

Milo is a 3-year-old Shepherd/Beagle mix. Healthy, lively, curious, adventurous … And yet, mere 10 minutes of one evening could have meant Milo’s untimely death.

Milo Survived what many Dogs Don't: #Preventpetsuffocation

It took only 10 minutes of being busy with other things for Milo’s mom to find him lying motionless on the floor, his head covered by a bag of potato chips that had been left on a coffee table.

Milo was motionless, unresponsive and barely breathing.

Milo was lucky that his mom used to work as a critical care nurse. She knew exactly what to do. She quickly removed the bag from Milo’s head, checked his airway and began rescue breathing. After what seemed like an eternity, Milo started breathing on his own.

Milo’s brain was deprived of oxygen.

Immediately after the incident, he was unsteady and wobbly–which has resolved but it seems that he’s suffering hearing loss. Depending on what happened, it may or may not resolve. Either way–amazingly lucky to walk away from such incident with just that.

Dogs are dying from suffocation all the time.

Please help spread awareness about pet suffocation. The only way to prevent this tragedy from happening is to be aware of it … and to help ensure that others are aware of it, too!

Visit PreventiveVet to participate in prevention campaign.

Source article:
#IfOnlyIKnew: Milo’s Brush With a Chip Bag

Categories: ConditionsEmergenciesReal-life StoriesSuffocation

Tags: :

Jana Rade

I am a graphic designer, dog health advocate, writer, and author. Jasmine, the Rottweiler of my life, was the largest female from her litter. We thought we were getting a healthy dog. Getting a puppy from a backyard breeder was our first mistake. Countless veterinary visits without a diagnosis or useful treatment later, I realized that I had to take Jasmine's health care in my own hands. I learned the hard way that merely seeing a vet is not always enough. There is more to finding a good vet than finding the closest clinic down the street. And, sadly, there is more to advocating for your dog's health than visiting a veterinarian. It should be enough, but it often is not. With Jasmine, it took five years to get a diagnosis. Unfortunately, other problems had snowballed for that in the meantime. Jasmine's health challenges became a crash course in understanding dog health issues and how to go about getting a proper diagnosis and treatment. I had to learn, and I had to learn fast. Helping others through my challenges and experience has become my mission and Jasmine's legacy. I now try to help people how to recognize and understand signs of illness in their dogs, how to work with their veterinarian, and when to seek a second opinion. My goal is to save others the steep curve of having to learn things the hard way as I did. That is the mission behind my blog and behind my writing. That is why I wrote Symptoms to Watch for in Your Dog, which has turned out being an award-winning guide to dog owners. What I'm trying to share encompasses 20 years of experience.

Share your thoughts