Dog Medical Emergencies: Ingestion of Poison

Dog Medical Emergencies: Ingestion of Poison

I suppose it might depend on what people think of as a poison; which one and how much of it was ingested … Yeah, a dog can survive eating chocolate, depending on the type, amount, and size of the dog. And yeah, with something like chocolate you might get away by inducing vomiting at home. But you still better deal with it before you finish whatever chocolate your dog left or before the end of your favorite show. Isn’t that still a definition of an emergency?

With anything toxic, time is of the essence.

Ideally, your dog gets help before it absorbs into the body. Which in general is under 2 hours of ingestion. The sooner the better. Like right now.

But I didn’t say chocolate, I said poison.

You know, rat bait, snail bait, antifreeze, poisonous mushrooms … poisons.  Things where the tiniest amount can kill your dog.

Plus making your dog vomit is not always the best idea.

Here are emergency instructions from Pet Poison Helpline:

  • Remove your pet from the area.
  • Check to make sure your pet is safe: breathing and acting normally.
  • Do NOT give any home antidotes.
  • Do NOT induce vomiting without consulting a vet or Pet Poison Helpline.
  • Call Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680.
  • If veterinary attention is necessary, contact your veterinarian or emergency veterinary clinic immediately.

“Did your dog or cat just eat something poisonous? Call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680 for help immediately!” ~Pet Poison Helpline

“Call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline immediately.”

It’s an emergency. Period.

Categories: ConditionsEmergenciesPoisoning

Tags: :

Jana Rade

I am a graphic designer, dog health advocate, writer, and author. Jasmine, the Rottweiler of my life, was the largest female from her litter. We thought we were getting a healthy dog. Getting a puppy from a backyard breeder was our first mistake. Countless veterinary visits without a diagnosis or useful treatment later, I realized that I had to take Jasmine's health care in my own hands. I learned the hard way that merely seeing a vet is not always enough. There is more to finding a good vet than finding the closest clinic down the street. And, sadly, there is more to advocating for your dog's health than visiting a veterinarian. It should be enough, but it often is not. With Jasmine, it took five years to get a diagnosis. Unfortunately, other problems had snowballed for that in the meantime. Jasmine's health challenges became a crash course in understanding dog health issues and how to go about getting a proper diagnosis and treatment. I had to learn, and I had to learn fast. Helping others through my challenges and experience has become my mission and Jasmine's legacy. I now try to help people how to recognize and understand signs of illness in their dogs, how to work with their veterinarian, and when to seek a second opinion. My goal is to save others the steep curve of having to learn things the hard way as I did. That is the mission behind my blog and behind my writing. That is why I wrote Symptoms to Watch for in Your Dog, which has turned out being an award-winning guide to dog owners. What I'm trying to share encompasses 20 years of experience.

Share your thoughts